Code Of Ethics
The IHSAA Code of Ethics
for Athletic Coaches and Officials
Believing that mine is an important part in the nationwide school athletic program, I pledge to act in accordance with these principles:
1. I will honor contracts regardless of possible inconvenience or financial loss.
2. I will study the rules of the game, observe the work of other coaches or officials and will, at all times, attempt to improve myself and the game.
3. I will conduct myself in such a way that attention is drawn not to me, but to the young people playing the game.
4. I will maintain my appearance in a manner befitting the dignity and importance of the game.
5. I will cooperate with the news media in the interpretation and clarification of rules and/or other areas relating to good sportsmanship but I will not make statements concerning “calls” after the game.
6. I will uphold and abide by all rules of the IHSAA and the National Federation.
7. I will shape my character and conduct so as to be a worthy example to the young people who play under my jurisdiction.
8. I will give my complete cooperation to the school which I serve and to the IHSAA, which I represent.
9. I will cooperate and be professional in my association with other coaches or officials and will do nothing to cause them public embarrassment.
10. I will keep in mind that the game is more important than the wishes of any individual.